Monday, August 17, 2009

The Bounty

Green beans, corn, okra, zucchini,

cabbage,
tomatoes, cucumbers,

yellow squash, jalapeno and green peppers,

collard greens, romaine lettuce and yellow corn.
What do all of these vegetables have in common?

They grow in my brother's urban garden.
Yes, right in his backyard.

My mom and I dropped in for a visit which turned into a harvest fest.
We walked, talked, picked and ate our way through row after row of organic wonder.


Four hours, and several baskets later,
I made my way home with this bounty.
What to do? What to do?


My first thought was to make an arrangement.
Cute, but not too functional.
I had to get serious and look for recipes.
So far I have baked zucchini bread and prepared tomato/cucumber/vinegar salads.

Now I'm looking for yellow squash recipes.
If you have one you love, and would like to send, I'll try it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, How lucky to have all that BOUNTY! I love yellow squash. I make it a couple of ways. One is just sauteed in butter with onion and black pepper which is very good with collard greens. The other is a Paula Dean recipe I got off food network. It is really good too, but I leave off the crackers. That just doesn't seem natural. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sydsing. I'm gonna try your squash recipe with butter, onion and black pepper. I think Paula will be good with it also. It has butter, her favorite ingredient.
    Did you know "Sydsing" means beautiful voice?

    ReplyDelete